Strength TogetHER 28 - Sathi (My Friend)



 Sathi (My Friend)


Lokopakar in collaboration with Nexus Institute of Research and Innovation (NIRI) conducted a  donation drive a few months ago which has allowed us to expand our program “Strength TogetHER” to 10 different public schools all over the country. Nexus Institute for Research and Innovation (NIRI) is an independent and not-for-profit-sharing institution in Nepal, registered with a vision to promote quality research and innovation across the nation and beyond. 


Under this project, we started our “Strength TogetHER” session at Shree Nandi Secondary School, a public school located at Naxal, Kathmandu. On June 18, 2022 we introduced our session to the young girls from grade 6 and 7 while also talking about “My Small Happiness” and their desire to improve English writing and conversation. We collectively decided to try and conduct the 8 week session in English language. The girls are excited and looking forward to attending each session. This has all been possible with the help of NIRI and all the donors.


On June 25, 2022 we conducted our second session at Shree Nandi Secondary School on the topic “Friends”. On this we discussed small moments shared with friends that made us happy and grateful. The first word of the day we explained was “grateful”.


Our first participant shared, when she was in grade 5 she liked dancing but no one knew about it. When her friend found out her interest, they started dancing together which made her happy. She shares that she likes dancing in Nepali songs and that dancing has always made her happy.


“I forgot to bring tiffin one day, and my friend shared her food with me. I remember her sharing Danish bread”, shared another participant. 


“I didn’t have money to buy a computer book in the new session, but my best friend collected money with other friends in the class and helped me buy my  computer book. This made me extremely happy and grateful towards my friend”, shared another participant. 


Another participant shared that she liked dancing while her best friend liked singing. She added, “I liked dancing when my best friend sang. This was a special moment for me.”


One participant shared, she had gone to a picnic with her friend and then visited a museum. They took pictures and had fun. 


“My friends teach me how to dance during our tiffin break, and I am grateful for that”, shared our other participant.


Another participant shared that her friend had gifted her a pen on her birthday and she likes it alot. While another shared that she received a book as a gift which she cherishes till date. 


“I was sort of Rs. 100 to join a writing program, my friend gave me Rs. 100 for that. I could join and enjoy the program. I am thankful towards her for helping me during that time”, shared another participant. 


“My friend has always shared lunch with me whenever I forgot to bring mine. We share everything. I am happy to have a friend like her”, shared another participant. A few other participants also shared that their friends have always shared books, and lunch with them when they forget to bring theirs. 


Another participant shared that when she went to the market with her friends they met a poor man and gave him some money collectively. She realized that she could help other people more when she was with her friends.


“My classmates were teasing me by calling names when my best friend defended me. Others then stopped teasing me. I will always be grateful towards my friend for this”,  shared one participant. 


“One day me and my friends went to Ason, a bazaar in Kathmandu when I saw a shirt that I really liked but didn’t have enough money to pay for. My friends then lend me money to buy it. I will always remember this”,  shared our other participant. 


Our other participant shared that she enjoyed going out with her friend, but one day her friend’s father didn’t allow her friend to go out so they spoke with each other with her friend sitting on the window and her on the road. She recalls it to be more fun than meeting  and talking as usual. 


Lastly, we all agreed that friends play a special role in our lives, making us happy when we are sad and even happier when we are happy. They also share a special bond with us. The final take away of the session was learning how friends are important for everyone while each one of them being more confident to speak in English and learning new words. The new words learnt for the day were, grateful and reflection. 


This has all been possible with the help and support from NIRI and the donors. We would like to extend our heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you who have been supporting us directly and indirectly.


Thank you!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strength TogetHER 28 - My Dream

Strength TogetHER 28 - A Time I Felt Sad